Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
You can use the RemoteApp Wizard to create a Remote Desktop Protocol (.rdp) file from any program in the RemoteApp Programs list. For more information about how to distribute .rdp files to users, see Distribute RemoteApp Programs to Users.
Membership in the local Administrators group, or equivalent, on the RD Session Host server that you plan to configure, is the minimum required to complete this procedure. Review details about using the appropriate accounts and group memberships at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=83477.
To create an .rdp file
- On the RD Session Host server, open RemoteApp Manager. To open RemoteApp Manager, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, point to Remote Desktop Services, and then click RemoteApp Manager.
- In the RemoteApp Programs list, click the program that you want to create an .rdp file for. To select multiple programs, press and hold the CTRL key when you click each program name.
- In the Actions pane for the program or selected programs, click Create .rdp File.
Note If you selected multiple programs, the settings described in the rest of this procedure apply to all of the selected programs. A separate .rdp file is created for each program.
- On the Welcome to the Remote App Wizard page, click Next.
- On the Specify Package Settingspage, do the following:
- In the Enter the location to save the packages box, accept the default location or click Browse to specify a new location to save the .rdp file.
- In the Remote Desktop Session Host settings area, click Change to modify the server name or the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) port number. When you are finished, click OK.
- In the RD Gateway settings area, click Change to modify or to configure whether clients will use an RD Gateway server to connect to the target RD Session Host server across a firewall. (For more information about these settings, see Configure Remote Desktop Gateway Settings.) When you are finished, click OK.
- To digitally sign the .rdp file, in the Certificate settings area, click Change to select or to change the certificate to use. (For more information, see About Digitally Signing RemoteApp Programs.) Select the certificate that you want to use, and then click OK.
- When you are finished, click Next.
- On the Review Settings page, click Finish.When the wizard is finished, the folder where the .rdp file was saved opens in a new window. You can confirm that the .rdp file was created.